Monday, April 26, 2010

another update...


I wish I could start this blog with "Every 5 minutes for about 60 seconds I'm in so much pain I can't even focus... time for the hospital!"... but that, alas, I think that's a ways off.

Went to the doctor today and she said that I'm just about where I was 2 weeks ago. WTF?? Just 2 weeks ago she said "I give you two weeks!!" and here I am in the same place?? NOW. Maybe that's her way of tricking mothers into getting ready for the baby just in case... yeah, right. But my guess is, 2 weeks ago she had wishful thinking and thought I would progress a lot faster than I am. And every mom (including my own) said "Don't get your hopes up that it will happen in 2 weeks..." and I didn't... but secretly did. And THEN one of the girls we knew from church who was due 6 days before me delivered her baby last week -- so then I REALLY got my hopes up. But alas. Here I am. Uterus the size of a watermelon and cervix the size of a pea. Son of a gun.

BUT, I'm going to change my attitude. Right now. I'm going to enjoy being pregnant. I'm going to enjoy the long nights of sleep I'm getting right now. I'm going to enjoy the extra scoop of ice cream I easily justify. I'm going to enjoy being large and in charge and having those special little kicks and rolls and jabs from our little one all to myself. Yes - I would love to be able to get off the couch without using a tow truck and for my feet to fit into shoes other than flip flops. And yes - I cannot wait to meet the little lady, but being anxious is NOT helping the situation... she'll come when she's good and ready. So there you have it. Me letting go.

On a COMPLETELY different note, there were little kittens born in our front yard bushes at some point today. Josh didn't believe me at first... he kept saying, "Audrey - that's a BIRD... it's not a kitten..." But I knew. I grew up with lots of kittens. And then we found them... SO TINY. "Mission: rescue kittens" went into effect because we thought they were abandoned but then their mama came back to feed and protect her little ones from us... just what we need around this neighborhood... more stray cats.

3 comments:

Dressing On The Side said...

great attitude to have! ENJOY you and Josh and leaving the house without really thinking...it will all change soon enough!

Connie B said...

I agree--your new attitude is great preparation for parenthood--and parenthood really is better than waiting for it--you will see!

Sarah said...

You do have a good attitude about it. Enjoy the kicks and jabs all you can... it's weird once they're gone!

And, you know, dilation and effacement don't mean much. It's possible to go from nothing to complete super quickly. I was only slightly effaced at 36 weeks, and not dilated at all, and E was born less than a week later. You just never know!

Hang in there, friend.