Sunday, November 15, 2009

farm fresh to ME!

I love farmer's markets. I do. I love the people, the beautiful produce, the fun vendors, I love everything about it. The only thing I don't like: me being a scaredy cat when it comes to trying new things. I feel like I used to be more adventurous with my choices, but there were times when those adventurous choices ended up rotting in the fridge because I didn't know what I was going to do with it (hello swiss chard...). So now I stick to my onions, mushrooms, peppers, and... um... bread? Does that count? I want to reach out and try some new stuff! Solution?

Capay Organic Farms will deliver a box full of organic produce to my door step complete with recipes. Everything delivered is in season, from a local farm, and all organic. This week's selections included beets (Josh won't let me opt out of beets... he swears by borsch... yuck.), potatoes, cabbage, apples, pears, grapes, oranges, butternut squash, bok choy, chard, carrots, spinach, and cilantro. Holy cow! We're doing a "regular" sized box (you can specify) every other week... that way I can still use my farmer's market for the in-between stuff and of course all the local breads, pastas, and other yummy treats...
I think this will be a good solution. It will force us to step out of our comfort zone and yet give us the tools (produce and recipes) to be successful. Bring it on Capay!!

3 comments:

Wyatt said...

We really enjoy our CSA box as well!

Maybe you already have a recipe waiting in the wings, but here's what I do for borsch: http://mrwx.blogspot.com/2009/03/intermission.html

One thing I'd do differently from what I've posted there is sweat the carrots/celery/onions a bit on their own before adding the beets!

We just made this yesterday with beets etc. from our box too. With all the stuff, it doesn't taste as much like raw beet. Enjoy!

Sarah said...

What Wyatt didn't mention is that he was quite opposed to trying the beets in the beginning as well. Aside from the borscht, I found a recipe for beet cake which was tasty, particularly with cream cheese frosting. I also sort of made up a recipe for veggie bread (think zucchini or carrot bread but with beets, carrots and zucchini).

Have fun with your produce. :)

leslie said...

i, too, love my weekly csa! a fun little game to see what can be made before letting any of it go to waste. and you get more veggies to boot. i expect some recipe posts from you now, ms. dunlop! :)